COCA Honours Construction Leaders
The Council of Ontario Construction Associations honoured construction industry leaders from across Ontario with the presentation of the Cliff Bulmer Award, the Construction Hard Hat Award, the Chair’s Award, and the President’s Award. These recognitions were made at an awards ceremony and dinner held at The Crowne Plaza Hotel in Niagara Falls Ontario on the morning of June 9th, 2022.
COCA’s highest honour, the Cliff Bulmer Award, which recognizes an individual who has made an outstanding contribution in furthering the relationship between the construction industry and the Ontario Government was awarded to Graeme Aitken, Executive Director of the Electrical Contractors Association of Ontario. Graeme has been dogged in pursuing Health and Safety issues with the Ontario Government, Ministers and Ministries. Many of these issues not only benefit electrical contractors but all areas of construction.
COCA Construction Hard Hat Special Achievement Award. The Hard Hat is awarded to an individual or individuals who do something truly remarkable to advance the interests of the construction industry.
- Elizabeth Witmer has served the Ontario public for 36 years, including 22 years as the Kitchener-Waterloo Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) and as Chair of the WSIB. As an MPP she also served as the Deputy Premier of Ontario, Minister of Labour, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, Minister of Environment and Minister of Education.
- Michael Sherrard is recognized as one of Canada’s leading employment and labour lawyers His clients are national and international, public and private, and operate in a wide range of industries and sectors. Michael is the Chair of Skilled Trades Ontario (a Provincial Crown Agency under the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development) and sits on the board of directors of Skills Canada (Ontario), Support Ontario Youth and the Council of Professional Investigators of Ontario.
COCA’s Industry Ally Award is presented to an individual outside of the COCA federation who has made a significant contribution to the success of the construction industry or who has contributed to improvements to the industry environment in Ontario.
- Ian Howcroft, Chief Executive Officer of Skills Ontario.
- Rod Cook, Vice President, Workplace Health and Safety Services and Matt Wilson, Director, Workplace Health and Safety Services at the WSIB.
- Patrick Dillon recently retired Business Manager and Secretary Treasurer of the Provincial Building and Construction Trades Council of Ontario. A position he held since 1997.
- Craig LeSurf, President of Gillam Group Inc. and Chair of the League of Champions.
- Ron Kelusky was appointed as Ontario’s Chief Prevention Officer in March of 2018 and retired from this position in 2021.
The Chair’s Awards, given at the discretion of the COCA Chair to individuals who have gone above and beyond the call of duty in their contributions to the success of our provincial federation were presented by Chair Romeo Milano.
- Andy Pilat, who recently passed away was the General Manager of the Sarnia Construction Association. Andy served as General Manager of the Sarnia Construction Association for 40 years. The award was accepted by Andy’s son John, who has succeeded Andy at the Sarnia Construction Association.
- Jim Lyons, Executive Director of the Windsor Construction.
- Sue Ramsay, General Manager, Hamilton Halton Construction Association.
- The Grand Valley Construction Association
The President’s Award is awarded at the discretion of the President and there’s a long list of criteria associated with it. It goes without saying that it’s always difficult to identify recipients for this award since each and every one of our member associations and volunteers contribute enormously to the success of our provincial federation.
- Karen Sheldrick General Manager of the Niagara Construction Association.
- Trina Hayden. Trina is a director at NORCAT, a not-for-profit technology and innovation centre headquartered in Greater Sudbury. Trina serves on the Board of the Northeastern Ontario Construction Association.